Address: 2821 8th Street Columbus
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.gpbconline.com
- Church: 706-322-0904
- Fax: 706-507-0903
With the community’s need for another church, Greater Peace Baptist Church was organized in 1939 by a group of Christian missionaries from New Mount Zion Baptist Church. Reverend H. Hunter was the first pastor of Greater Peace Baptist Church, located on the corner of Spenola Street and Church Street. During his one year tenure as pastor, his two deacons and members worked hard to keep the church vibrant. In 1940, the late Reverend George E. King became the pastor of Greater Peace Baptist Church. Sadly, on March 4, 1951, the church was completely destroyed by fire. Greater Peace Baptist Church was reconstructed.
On September 6, 1952, the late Reverend Oliver L. Holston became the new pastor with new ideas to enhance Greater Peace Baptist Church. The church was remodeled and expanded to accommodate new members. Reverend Holston had many Christian men to be ordained under his leadership and some later became pastors. On February 5, 1984, Reverend Holston passed away. In September 1984, Reverend E. L. Sullivan became the pastor of Greater Peace Baptist Church.
Under Reverend Sullivan’s leadership, several ministries were formed. Many needs of the church, such as obtaining reliable transportation for members, church hymnals, and robes were met. Several members were licensed and ordained under Reverend E.L. Sullivan’s leadership including our current pastor, Reverend Corey J. Neal. In years to come, many other ministries, such as the New Generation Choir and the Praise Team, were created. In February 2004, the Fellowship Hall was constructed. In January 2005, an administrative office was added, and the Pastor’s Study was remodeled.
In September 2007, Reverend Sullivan announced his retirement as Senior Pastor of the church. On December 2, 2007, Reverend Sullivan preached his last sermon at Greater Peace Baptist Church and passed the torch to his grandson, Reverend Corey J. Neal.
On December 30, 2007, Reverend Neal was installed as the new Shepherd of Greater Peace Baptist Church. Since his installation, the church membership has increased tremendously. On August 10, 2008, Deacon Karl Brown was licensed into the ministry under Reverend Neal and was appointed the Minister of Christian Education. Reverend Neal has formed and developed many new ministries at the church. In February 2009, Pastor Emeritus Reverend E. L. Sullivan went home to our Heavenly Father. In his honor and memory, the fellowship hall was graciously named the E.L Sullivan Fellowship Hall. Reverend Neal informed the church of his vision to pay off the E.L. Sullivan Fellowship Hall early. By following the vision God gave Reverend Neal, the church was able to pay off the E.L. Sullivan Fellowship Hall 2 ½ years early.
We were shaped for serving God
We were created to become like Christ
We were planned for God’s pleasure
We were made for a Mission
We were formed for God’s family
“A Praying Church, Praising and Worshipping God, Glorifying Christ and Transforming People.”
"Connection with God and People"
"Growing in the Word of God"
"Giving Time – Tithe Talent – Testimony"
“Connection, Growing, Giving”